Interesting Image in SC2 Attack Scene

General chat about Johnny Five and Short Circuit.
Johnny5Gold

Interesting Image in SC2 Attack Scene

Postby Johnny5Gold » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:03 pm

So, I was just sitting back and watching over Short Circuit 2 again, on Blu-Ray and I noticed something. During the attack on Johnny 5 at around 1:21:49 through 1:22:00, if you look just as the thugs are dodging the first airplane, and ducking beside Johnny's body, take a look at the robot's face. You'll definitely notice the smashed right eye, but the left has the eye covers in what I call 'attack position', and his eye has turned red. However in other shots, his eye goes back to normal until he picks himself up, after the thugs leave him, and then its red again. Makes me wonder if this was a goof on the part of the studio, or if Johnny was meant to have his eye turned red for just that split second. In either case, feel free to discuss and speculate. :)

ensjesse

Re: Interesting Image in SC2 Attack Scene

Postby ensjesse » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:29 pm

I noticed that too. As I kid I sorta figured that he was going into his attack mode. Johnny seems to show those eyes when he get's Angry. Remember when the thugs broke into the warehouse and he spun them around? I think his eyes were red then too. These days I am sure that is just an error in continuity. Because if Johnny looked angry during that scene we wouldn't feel as sad for him but we are starting to root for him because he summons the planes for help to ward off his attackers but he is dying at the same time.

Johnny5Gold

Re: Interesting Image in SC2 Attack Scene

Postby Johnny5Gold » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:14 am

ensjesse wrote:I noticed that too. As I kid I sorta figured that he was going into his attack mode. Johnny seems to show those eyes when he get's Angry. Remember when the thugs broke into the warehouse and he spun them around? I think his eyes were red then too. These days I am sure that is just an error in continuity. Because if Johnny looked angry during that scene we wouldn't feel as sad for him but we are starting to root for him because he summons the planes for help to ward off his attackers but he is dying at the same time.

Yeah, Jesse. I've always been of the opinion that at some point during the beating scene that Johnny must have had about all he could stand, and right up to the point after his left arm was hacked off was where he probably knew he had to either fight back or be killed. Of course ultimately, when you look at it from a logical standpoint, you take into account that Johnny in a sense 'allowed' Saunders and Jones to smash him up as badly as they did, since he spent more time trying to convince them that he was alive, instead of attempting to fight back. His pacifist nature proved to be his own undoing in this particular instance, as he did not wish to fight. Plus, he was toppled over in a position where even if he wanted to fight back, he was definitely at a very sore disadvantage, as his treads were laying sideways when he fell.

I'm not saying that the attack in the film is what Johnny deserved or that 'he got what was coming to him for helping the bad guys', but what I am saying is that right after losing his left arm, I think that he reached his breaking point and just started to go into 'attack mode' before his right eye was smashed. Of course this is just one of those things that we may never know.

Return to “Johnny Five is alive!”